Gelato and Cell Phones.
What can separate me from your love, O God?
You will not forsake me; there's nowhere you cannot go.
Neither death nor life, no depth and no height
Can weaken your love, O God,
And there's nothing in this world,
In all of creation,
That could take your love away...
One year and three months ago, I was sitting in a little dorm room in Geneva, Switzerland, listening to this song and feeling hopeful about the future. Things had not turned out as I'd thought they would, but for whatever reason, I believed that good things would come, that the three friendships that I was dealing with would continue to be intertwined for many years to come.
For a variety of additional reasons, the next few months turned out to be the hardest of my life. One of the most painful aspects was seeing one of those friendships unravel to the point where conversation itself was not possible for a few months. The fellowship I had envisioned would not come to pass, and amidst many other factors, I found myself with less hope for the future than I'd ever had before.
Today, one year later, the four of us were at a gelato cafe, celebrating one of those friends' return from overseas. We laughed many, many times over the course of the night, sharing stories and recounting past adventures.
I found myself looking out at the three of them, and realizing that what I had envisioned has actually come to pass; that God has taken those ashes and made beauty out of them, restoring those friendships and bringing forth many more blessings that I could not have imagined.
It has been a peculiar year. But as I write this, I'm realizing that I must look up to the marvelous scripter, and say, once again, "well played."
I know not what the future will bring. But when it comes, and brings its doubts and fears with it, I hope to remember this last year.
Sit Deo Gloria.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home